Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

I have a problem

I'm the type of person who is always day dreaming of things that I want to do and 90% of those things never materialize into an act of actually doing/completing.  For example I constantly talk about things around my house I would "like" to do.  In fact I have a rotating list in my head like getting organized, building some shelves, cleaning my garage, cleaning my basement, cleaning my vehicle, cleaning my house, taking my bike in for maintenance, prepping my yard for winter,  giving the dog a bath, and the list continues.  I also have a fitness list like complete a 5k (done), 10k (race on the Oct 29th), half marathon, marathon, Olympic distance triathlon, Half Ironman, Ironman, and a Century bike ride.  Am I crazy or do lots of people have this...um...problem?  To complicate things - this always happens - I was just accepted into an accelerated nursing program which is awesome and will be taking all my spare time in the coming future.  If there is one thing that doesn't take a back seat it is education.  Fortunately I'm very lucky my wife is extremely understanding with this.  I just tend to want to start new adventures when I don't have the time to dedicate myself to them.  That might say something about myself but who cares.  I'm human and humans are odd creatures - some more than others.  Ok I have no idea where that came from.  Moving on.

Triathlons.  They have been on my mind a lot.  I've also been reading lots about them.  They have a very alluring appeal to me just like anything with a "I'm cool because you wish you could do what I'm doing even though I look as though I'm about to die" sort of culture.  My whole life its been that way.  In the Boy Scouts (yes I obtained the rank Eagle Scout) I once degenerated into a hypothermic state on a winter survival camping trip in Colorado after constructing a snow shelter.  Even though he won't admit it my brother probably saved my life that day by recognizing it and taking action.  I was in a bad way but tell the story with pride and wear the experience like a badge of honor.  Dumb I know.  Oh yeah and then there is the six years in the military where group suffering is the norm; loved it.  Then came Crossfit where I was introduced to a different type of pain; self inflicted.  Laying on the ground after a workout completely drained and have random full body muscle spasms.  Weird but for the record that only happened twice.  So you see triathlons are right up my alley.  Suffering.  Good for mind and body.


I love exploring that dark place that I only find when I'm truly being tested and seeing how long I can stay there.  Really testing myself because I know that physically I'm capable of completing a task, but can I complete that task mentally.  Our minds are not limited by the physical barriers muscles and cardiovascular endurance is.  Many people who are capable to do great things stop short because mentally they give up when it gets tough.  Now I could get all philosophical and rant about how that is the problem with society today.  About how so many people choose the easy route instead of doing what is right for themselves and their health because it's easier to be fat and out of shape than put in at a minimum of what, 30 minutes a day of exercise.  Or how I see people circle the Wal-Mart parking lot for a close parking spot so they don't have to walk twenty extra steps.  But I won't get into that here because that's not why you visit this blog.  Also because I have covered many topics already and this entry is loooooong.  Holy crap, it's lunch time, I'm out!









No comments:

Post a Comment