Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

30 DFC - Day 2

source
Well Day 2 has come and gone without incident.  I'm still here and my family is still here after starting our challenge; good news I'd say.   Day 2 provided a nice entrance into the program with some easy changes to keep in mind throughout the day.  Eating veggies with every meal, walking an extra 15 minutes throughout the day (i.e. taking stairs instead of the elevator), suggestions for cardio, stretching, etc. 

I did have a random thought though when I was thinking of what to write for today.  It's something that I struggle with when planning goals or really anything for that matter.  I often want instant gratification for doing whatever it is I'm doing.  Many things take time and very often I don't want to wait.  I want to do it, check it off my list, and move on.  This leads to me missing out on the journey and I have to remind myself to look around and enjoy the experience and path I'm on.  Anyway you get the picture.  See below for more on the topic.

It's funny how when you start something new or different from the norm.  There's always that feeling of doubt.  Doubt about not finishing, doubt about not doing it right, doubt about what others will say, doubt about your motivations, doubt from people who think you can't do it just because they can't do it.  A lot of times the best of intentions can be shadowed with doubt, but I think it's important we not get into our own heads too much (another weakness of mine).  Sometimes the right prescription for change is to not think about it and just do it.  Just be you and be the best at it.  If you start out realistically knowing that there's going to be growing pains and bumps along the road and naysayers along the way you will be prepared to meet those challenges and blow right through them.  

I was laying in bed last night thinking (doubting myself) what have I gotten myself into?  What have I gotten my family into regarding this challenge?  If I'm feeling this way what are they feeling?  Are they playing into my strange fantasy of wanting to help people?  Is nursing school corrupting me into some "do-gooder-touchy-feely" health fitness freak?  I should really go hunt something to reclaim my man card, on second thought it's late.  Tomorrow. 

It seems like the days prepping for this challenge was fast paced and a flurry of work when combined with other life responsibilities.  Getting everything set up so that emails go out on time, making sure everyone has access to the group collaboration page, ironing out any questions or concerns, and thinking of how to keep people involved, and how to remotely motivate people was part of the fun and excitement for me.  It's something I've never dealt with before and thankfully my first time is with family who is understanding.  Still as I lay there in bed, my mind running 90 mph, I couldn't help but feel...anticlimactic?  I'm not sure what I had envisioned the start of the challenge would be.  Maybe in my head I envisioned it like a race, a 5k lets say, and you prepare for a PR because the course is flat and fast.  Walking to the start you're giddy with nerves and excitement because in your mind you know that you're ready and your plan is to go balls out.  The gun fires - BOOM - you try to run but you can't.  It's like that bad dream where you're being chased and you try - with every part of your being - to haul ass and run but you're stuck in slow motion.  Finally you realize that it's not a 5k you're running it's a 100k; this is going to take some time. Well I just realized that I'm running a 100k.  No matter what 30 days is 720 hours or 43,200 minutes or 25,920,000 seconds.  Time is time and nothing I do, no matter how excited I am to sprint ahead, is going to change that, nor should I want to change it.  I just need to settle in, find the pace, enjoy the scenery, and the experience of choosing to be a healthier family.


No comments:

Post a Comment