Pages

Sunday, August 07, 2011

“Esto Perpetua”

Wow, where did time go?  So much has happened in the last couple days this is going to be a huge entry and photo heavy!  For starters if you don't already know from the title I'm in Boise for a little adventure getaway and it's great.  Leaving the humidity and getting into the wilderness is awesome!  Friday I braved the busy sky's, thunderstorms, and aircraft mechanical problems and flew into Salt Lake City. 
Flying into Salt Lake City, UT
A quick dash to my next gate and I was able to catch an earlier flight to Boise ten minutes before it pushed back from the terminal.  Whew, it was close.  The trip from Salt Lake to Boise was fast.  So fast in fact that they didn't have time to serve everyone drinks and peanuts!

Mmmm...beer
Once I landed in Boise I was starving and met some folks along with Stacy at the Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  I don't remember the last time I actually ate at a Texas Roadhouse, but I was reminded why as soon as I stepped in.  It's not the healthiest of choices for places to eat.  But I wanted a tall beer and they had plenty of good stuff to choose from so what the hell right?  I ended up choosing BBQ chicken breast and apple sauce for dinner and drinking every last bit of my hefeweizen beer.

Saturday was my first full day in Boise and when we travel Stacy and I like to seek out unique places and sample the local flavor.  Saturday morning for breakfast that flavor was Java Coffee and Cafe and it was amazing. 
Bacon, Egg, and Jack cheese Croissant
 After breakfast we wandered around the city and stumbled on a huge farmers market.  It was probably four blocks in size and packed with all sorts of locally produced goodies.  From Bison and Elk meat to organically grown veggies and candles to Alpaca wool bags.  It was awesome to say the least I wish we had something like this back home.
The Market in Boise, ID
After the market it was off into the mountains.  For white water rafting on the South Fork of the Payette River.  We ran Class III-IV rapids and for those that have never been rafting; do it.  Don't think about it just do it, because it's something you will never forget.  I've been three times which hardly makes me an expert, but I know enough to say it's a blast.  The guides are true river rats and are hilarious.  The trip took about three hours and the weather couldn't have been better.  They make the trip very enjoyable and if I'm ever back in Boise I will be visiting the guys at Cascade Raft and Kayak for another trip. 
Slalom Rapids South Fork (1800+/- cfs)
Sunday morning for breakfast we found le Cafe de Paris and what can I say it was another great place for breakfast.  Of course I ordered the french toast and Stacy ordered a much more healthy scrambled egg and trout (maybe salmon) dish which looked delicious as well.  Once we finished breakfast it was time to explore the north and we took a long drive up to beautiful McCall, ID.
French Toast
The scenery is amazing and if anyone has any love for the outdoors they would be in heaven in the Boise National Forest.  Highway 55 takes you north out of Boise and runs along the Snake River and provides great photo opportunities along the way.  The trip to McCall took about 3 hours so lunch was at a quaint place called Bistro 45.  It wasn't a hole in the wall restaurant but it was close.  It reminded me of the type of place that if you didn't know about it you wouldn't go there.  It was by luck that Stacy and I even found the place.  We had been wandering around looking for a place when we smelled something good and BAM!  Down some stairs and to our right was a single door and some tables and decided to try it.
Turkey & Swiss w/ House Greens
I had the turkey and swiss with a mayo pesto, fresh tomato, roasted peppers and a salad.  It tasted like a cross between a pizza and turkey sandwich; yeah it was good.  On the way home we pulled over and stopped to snap some photos of a set of big rapids on the Snake river. 

Snake River rapids

Finally to wrap up the day we dined at Fork Restaurant and there I ate the best and most unique salmon dish I have ever eaten in my life!  It was amazing and I wish I had taken a picture of it.  Maybe tonight I will get a picture when we go back for dinner.  Yes it's that good that Stacy and I are going back tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment